If you file your Dutch taxes over the first (period) year you arrived in The Netherlands and/or believe you are entitled to receive a tax rebate over this year you must file your with an M form.

The reason for this is that the Dutch tax authorities don’t have any information about you in the files/systems and with this form, which is a 43 pages long booklet, they will ask you additional questions which are not questioned in a regular income declaration. Below you will find some Frequently Asked Questions from our clients regarding the M-form. It is likely to be beneficial for expats to file an M-form declaration. Most expats will receive a tax return because of the fact that they did not lived the full year in The Netherlands and paid to much taxes on their salary. Even your (fiscal) partner without an income able to receive a tax return when he or she was living at least 6 months in The Netherlands in the year you are filing the M-form.


Q. What kind of additional questions can I expect?

Basically the Dutch tax authorities want to know everything about your background. Like where did you live before coming to The Netherlands, did you earn money in The Netherlands while living in a foreign country etc.

The most common required (additional) questions are:

  1. Did you earn an income out of The Netherlands while living abroad?
  2. Your nationality
  3. The country you lived before coming to The Neteherlands
  4. When married, your wedding date

Q. That doesn’t seem to be very difficult. Can’t I file this myself?.

Of course you’re always free to file your own declarations yourself. However from our experience we see a lot of mistakes made in filing taxes (even by the Dutch themselves!) and because the declaration form (booklet) is only available in Dutch the chances of making (minor) mistakes with a big (financial) impact can be considerably high.

Q. My partner doesn’t have an income here and moved with me to The Netherlands. Does he/she also have to file an Mform

It is recommendable for your partner to check with our Tax Scan whether filing an Mform can be beneficial or not. Our experience shows that this is often the case.


Q. I looked on the internet site of the “Belastingdienst” to download the form but I can’t find it.

The Mform is not available on the website of the “Belastingdienst” The only way to receive it is by calling the “belastingtelefoon” (0800-0543) and they will send it to you by post. We are able to file the Mform electronically when choosing us and provide you a report in English, German or Dutch. An example of an M-form 2014 can be found here (please note that this copy is not usable for filing your declaration!)